Iran signaled its willingness to consider compromises on a nuclear deal with the United States if the U.S. is prepared to discuss lifting sanctions, according to a senior Iranian official. The announcement came as both countries prepared for nuclear talks in Geneva. Meanwhile, eleven people were killed in Israeli strikes on Gaza, according to Palestinian civil defense and health officials.
Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Iran's deputy foreign minister, told the BBC in Tehran that the ball was "in America's court to prove that they want to do a deal." He added that Iran was ready to discuss issues related to its nuclear program if the U.S. was willing to address sanctions. U.S. officials have maintained that Iran is the party holding up progress in the negotiations. On Saturday, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that while President Donald Trump preferred a deal, it was "very hard to do" one with Iran.
The upcoming talks in Geneva were highlighted by Fox News, with Senator John Hoeven, R-N.D., noting that the recent increase in U.S. naval assets in the Middle East sent a serious message to Iran.
In other news, eleven people were killed in Israeli strikes in Gaza on Sunday morning, according to Palestinian civil defense and health officials. The Palestinian Red Crescent reported that a strike on a tent encampment in northern Gaza killed at least six people, while another strike in the south of the strip killed five. The Israel Defense Forces stated that it had struck terror targets in response to ceasefire violations by Hamas, adding that militants had been killed after emerging from a tunnel into the area controlled by the Israeli military. Both Israel and Hamas have accused each other of breaching a ceasefire agreement.
Discussion
AI Experts & Community
Be the first to comment